Mon - Fri: 9am - 5:30pm
0113 887 8432
April 18, 2017

ATED Deadline 30 April 2017

Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) is an annual tax paid primarily by companies who own UK residential property valued over £500,000.

If ATED applies to a property owned by your company at 1 April 2017, then you will be required to submit an ATED return and pay any tax due by 30 April 2017.

Remember – if you own more than one property and are liable to tax, you will need to complete a separate ATED return for each property.

Do I need to file an ATED return?

An ATED return will be due if the property:

  • is a ‘dwelling’;
  • is valued over £500,000 as at 1 April 2012, or as at acquisition if later;
  • is in the UK; and
  • is owned completely or in part by a company, a partnership where a partner is a company, or a collective investment scheme.

What is a “dwelling”?

A property will be regarded as a dwelling if all or part of it may be used as a residence (e.g. house, flat). This includes any garden, grounds, and outbuildings within the property.

Where a property is of mixed use, it is only the residential portion that is subject to ATED and the residential part must be valued separately.

Chargeable amount for 1 April 2017 – 31 March 2018

ATED Relief

You may not be required to pay the ATED charge where you qualify for ATED Relief.

ATED Relief is available if the property is:

  1. let to a third party on a commercial basis and isn’t occupied (or available for occupation) by anyone connected with the owner
  2. open to the public for at least 28 days a year
  3. being developed for resale by a property developer
  4. owned by a property trader as the stock of the business for the sole purpose of resale
  5. repossessed by a financial institution as a result of its business lending money
  6. acquired under a regulated Home Reversion Plan
  7. being used by a trading business to provide living accommodation to certain qualifying employees
  8. a farmhouse occupied by a farm worker or a former long-serving farm worker
  9. owned by a registered provider of social housing

In order to claim the relief you must submit a Relief Declaration Return.


Further information on ATED can be found here.

Contact us today to discuss your tax requirements.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram